When we need a quick outfit that can do it all, we reach for the Swiss Army Knife of our apparel wardrobe: the skort. Skirt up top, short down below, this bottom with benefits is the perfect blend of style and function. And at Title Nine, we made sure all our skorts are ready for your kind of adventure. We've broken down everything you need to know about Title Nine skorts (and why they're about to be your new favorite bottoms):
What's the history of the skort?
Skorts have an amazing history of empowering women in sports. Way back in the 1950s and 1960s, skorts were viewed as the go-to choice for women as they increasingly made their mark on sports and outdoor leisure activities. Skorts had another big comeback in the 90s (there was a whole decade where our closets were full of exclusively skorts and biker shorts), and now they're back once again, but this time with seriously sporty features like side pockets and sweat-wicking, UPF rated performance fabrics.
What's the purpose of a skort?
When you want the coverage of shorts but the style of a skirt, skorts are the ultimate mix of fun, style, and function. Women on the move love everything about them: quick and easy pull-on dressing, comfortable built-in shorts, pockets for days, adjustable waistband, and coverage women can count on to run, skip, flip, and crush the day. Plus, no worrying about what the view from behind looks like.
So, why are skorts so popular?
Women everywhere love wearing skorts instead of skirts and shorts for the consistent breeze, total coverage underneath, and on-the-go styling. Anything you can do in a pair of pants or shorts, you can do in a skort (but with way more room to move, breathe, and bounce from one activity to the next). Think tennis, golf, rock climbing, hiking, running, and yep, even parent-teacher conferences.
Besides the free A/C that comes with every skort, there are a few key factors that make our favorite two-in-one bottom so special (at least to us):
1. Max comfort and versatility: Title Nine's collection of athletic skorts feature built-in boyshorts, either with two side pockets or one sneaky leg stash. Knee length to mid-thigh, every pull-on style features a mid-rise fit and an elastic waistband, so our skorts sit comfortably on your waist and stay put any way you move. Headed for a water-bound adventure? Bring our quick-drying, amphibious Bidwell Skort
-- with built-in UPF 50 sun protection. Trekking through the tropics? Soak in the mountaintop views in the Switchback Ultralight Hiking Skort. This power pocket skort is always ready for some warm weather mixed with a little rain, with a four-way stretch, quick-drying fabric, and seven pockets total for all your must-have trail snacks.
2. Perfect for active lifestyles: Women on the move need athletic gear and activewear that can keep up. And our skorts are made with this in mind. We know active women can't be slowed down or weighed down by baggy, loose, sweaty sportswear. That's why all Title Nine athletic skorts are made with performance fabrics and all the features women want from their activewear (like pockets, wicking fabric and a stay-put fit). So they can get 'em on quick, get out the door, and get on with the day.
3. They're our best friend on a hot day: When the summer sun calls for brunch on the patio, beach days, river-to-trail adventures, or hikes through the backcountry, you can bet we're bringing our skort along for the fun. With built-in sun protection, breathable and stretchy performance fabrics, pockets to store all our stuff, and (do we need to say it again?) that free A/C, more women prefer comfy pocket skorts that do what shorts and pants can't.
How do I style athletic skorts?
Some of our favorite ways to style active skorts include:
- Keep it casual: If the day looks like a mix of running errands and running circles around the kiddos, we want to be ready for anything without a purse weighing us down. Grab a breathable tank or tee to go with a flouncy, casual pocket skort, like our Samba Skort
, with knit-in storage for days and jersey t-shirt softness.
- Get sporty: Hit the tennis court, golf course, or track in a sport-ready stretch skort, like our Ultralight Running Skort
, made with a lightweight, four-way stretch recycled Nimblene fabric (plus UPF protection) that dries up sweat in a snap. Head out for a surf session or river adventure and pair the quick-drying Rogue Skort
with your swimwear for a put-together look that's ready to rough out sand and salt.
- Dress it up: When we can't be bothered with dresses, but we still have to get somewhat dressy, get the best of both worlds with the Dream Swing Skort
. The A-line cut gives just the right swing that's about as fancy as we wanna get.
What type of skort should I wear?
There's no wrong way to wear a skort, but depending on what you're up to for the day, there might be one skort that's better suited for the adventure. It all comes down to the fabric, length and fit, and style you want to go with your activity.
If you're bouncing from the trailhead to local tavern, look out for our Brash
fabric: a performance blend of cotton, nylon, and spandex that's rugged but still comfortable enough for all-day wear. Want a skort that pulls on quick and is ready for more on-the-go adventures? Our Buttah
fabric is a super-soft, made-for-everywhere blend of microfiber poly and spandex.
Women putting in the work in skorts love the coverage that comes built in, but super-short isn't going to cut it. At Title Nine, our mid-rise and high-waisted active skorts are available at knee-length or mid-thigh cuts. Available in a wide size range for all women, we've got your ideal fit and style. Tired of basic black clothing? Our skorts come in all sorts of colors and patterns to pair with our t-shirts, tanks, swimsuits, or your favorite blouse.
Can you run in a skort?
Athletic skorts are totally comfortable to work out and run in—so comfortable, we sometimes forget leggings exist. Thanks to shorter hemlines and built-in boyshorts, we can move confidently in any—and every—direction, without worrying about the view from behind.
Anything you can do in shorts, you can do in a skort. Athletic skorts are the perfect choice for training runs, races, and everything in between, like tennis matches, showing off your best golf swing, and more. Performance, moisture-wicking fabrics keep you dry and just the right temp, while built-in pockets let you store your snacks, phone, and any other gear you need. Wide elastic waistbands and drawstrings help you get just the right fit so there are never any saggy bottoms.
What are the top features for working out in athletic skorts?
The best active skorts have:
- Pockets: Athletic skirts and skorts with pockets are perfect for running errands, hitting the bike trail, and knowing exactly where our keys are.
- Moisture-wicking, fast-drying fabric: A sport skirt made with performance activewear fabric keeps us cool, dry, and comfortable, no matter how the heat gets turned up.
- Versatility: We never know where the day will take us, but an athletic skirt can go from a quick hike to the grocery store, recess duty, the dog park, and beyond.
- Built-in shorts: Because women should be empowered to move in any direction we want to. We can have skirt sass and not worry about the view from behind.
What is the difference between a skirt and a skort?
Women's skirts and skorts both hit just above the knee so that we can easily move around. Both athletic skirts and skorts often have pockets, and they're ideal for hiking, bootcamp, dog- and kid-wrangling, running, and more. However, skorts for women feature built-in shorts for extra comfort and coverage, while skirts do not. Skorts often feature an extra panel of fabric at the front to hide the shorts.
Are skorts still in fashion?
Oh yeah, skorts are right on trend for movers and shakers everywhere—and even better, an active skort is one of the most versatile activewear items in our closet. Skorts are a fun alternative to regular shorts or pants, and they're the ultimate in comfort, performance, and style. Did we mention all the pocket power packed into each one? However you view 'em, they're perfect for wherever our adventurous life takes us.
What do people wear with skorts?
Women can wear just about any top with a skort. T-shirts, tanks, long sleeves, blouses, sports bras, swimsuits—you name it—it can all be worn with skort. When the occasion calls for comfy casual, sporty and simple, or sorta dressy, we'll grab our favorite skirt with smarts (hint, it's a skort!) real quick.
How do I wash and care for skorts?
Always check the care instructions on the inseam of your skort. Some fabrics require hand washing, air drying, or washing on delicate. As a rule of thumb, use gentle detergent and wash your garments on a cool or cold temperature to avoid shrinking. Prevent stains by acting on them quick—blot with soap and water or whatever stain remover you have on hand, as long as it's not bleach.
It's obvious why women view skorts as the go-to bottom for more worry-free moves. Title Nine's durable, stretchy, quick drying, and UPF rated fabrics make our skorts up for the challenge, and up for any adventure. Pockets in 'em all make it easy for us to store our essentials without bringing a bag. Comfortable coverage underneath lets us move how we want, anywhere we want, and pack a breeze wherever we go.
Ready to take skorts for a spin? Explore Title Nine's collection of active skorts in a variety of fabrics, cuts, colors, and patterns. Need help with your size? Our customer service team is always here to help with any questions regarding size range, length, and fit.